Azad Madni Lends Expertise, Guidance on Safety for GM’s First Autonomous Vehicle

December 17, 2021

Professor Azad Madni has spent years advancing research on autonomous vehicles, and just this month, a milestone in his work in this area achieved a milestone: the first successful autonomous ride of a driver-less vehicle by General Motors.

Said Madni:”My research team has been supporting GM for the past  years on model-based approaches for ensuring the safety and resilience of autonomous vehicles. This was a major milestone for the company. My team was an integral part of their success.”

Madni served as a member of the Autonomous Vehicle Independent Safety Review Board, lending his expertise, guidance and feedback to help shape GM’s first autonomous vehicle.

Said Padma Sundaram, who is chief architect on the project for GM: “Last week, I had an amazing experience in my first driverless ride on a Cruise Autonomous Vehicle in San Francisco. I have been engaged with this autonomous safety development work for over 5 years. I have learned so much from this experience. It was thrilling to take my first ride- I was nervous as first, but the AV was assertive and confident. As I eased into the ride, it was so surprising as to how normal and smooth the ride was.”

For full video of the ride, see here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/padma-sundaram-0a30ba8_iworkforgm-activity-6873738542489632768-vqIi

Published on December 17th, 2021

Last updated on December 17th, 2021